Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
ACWS is a Member of N.A.Re.S
UPCOMING 2013 EVENTS
For Details Click here
|48 days until the next full event|
|Jul 6/7||Tatton Old Hall (Full Society)|
|Jul 27/28||Hull, E.Yorks (Full Society)|
|Aug 4||Cheadle, Staffs... *NEW EVENT* |
|Aug 17/18||Spetchley, Worcs |
|Aug 17/18||Hamilton, Scotland |
|Sep 14/15||Ingleton, N Yorks (Full Society)|
On This Day - 150 Years Ago (More ...)
Sunday May 19 1861
- The Union blockade continues its attack on the Confederate shore batteries at Sewell's Point, near Hampton Roads, VA.
Monday May 19 1862
- Skirmish at Searcy Landing, AR.
- President Abraham Lincoln modifies Maj. Gen. David Hunter's proclamation freeing slaves in his military Dept. of Georgia, South Carolina and Florida.
- Skirmish near Farmington, MS.
- Skirmish at Clinton, NC.
- Federal expedition down the Mississippi to Fort Pillow, TN, by Brig. Gen. Isaac F. Quinby, USA. (May 19-23)
- Skirmish at City Point, James River, VA, with Capt. William H. Willis, CSA, 4th GA Infantry, attacking a Union landing party.
- Skirmish at Gains' Mill, VA.
Tuesday May 19 1863
- John Wesley Frazer, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The Siege of Vicksburg, MS, as Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, surrounds Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, CSA and the city, itself. (May 19-Jul 4)
- Skirmish near Richfield, Clay County, MO, in an ambush setup by bushwackers.
- Federal scouts from La Grange, TN, and skirmish with Confederate cavalry 10 miles south of La Grange.
- Federal expedition, with the US gunboat, Winnisimmet, from Gloucester Point, into Matthews County, VA, with the Union requisitioning grain and cattle, etc, from the area. (May 19-22)
Thursday May 19 1864
- The following are appointed Confederate Brigadier Generals:
- Clement Anselm Evans, CSA
- Martin Witherspoon Gary, CSA
- Bryan Grimes, CSA
- William Terry, CSA
- Skirmish at Fayetteville, AR, with Brig. Gen. Joseph O. Shelby, CSA.
- Skirmish near Norristown, AR, with Brig. Gen. Joseph O. Shelby, CSA.
- Operations on the Saint John's River, FL, including affairs at Welaka and Saunders (May 19), and the capture of the US steamer, Columbine. (May 23). (May 19-27)
- The Union forces cross the Atchafalaya, LA, near Simsport, LA, ending the failed Red River Campaign under Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, USA.
- Skirmish at Dandridge, TN.
- The Union forces of Brig. Gen. William W. Averell and George Crook, USA, reach Meadow Bluff, WV, concluding their operations against the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad.
Friday May 19 1865
- The following are appointed Union Brigadier Generals:
- James William Forsyth, USA
- Joseph Eldridge Hamblin, USA
- Richard Henry Jackson, USA
- William Wells, USA
- The Confederate Commerce Raider, CSS Stonewall, surrenders to the Union officials at Havanna, Cuba.
- Federal scout against Indians from Sweetwater Bridge to Whisky Gap of the Medicine Bow Mountains, the Dakota Territory. (May 19-20)
- Maj. Gen. William B. Hazen, USA, is assigned to the command of the 15th US Army Corps, FL.
- Federal scout from Kingsville, MO. (May 19-22)
- Federal scout against Indians from Fort Kearny to the Little River, the Nebraska Territory. (May 19-Jun 2)
- Federal scout against Indians from Fort Kearny, the Nebraska Territory. (May 19-26)
- Maj. Gen. John A. Logan, USA, is assigned to the command of the Army of the Tennessee.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Battery B.
ACWS SITE INDEX